Thursday 16 April 2009

Dvein
















Dvien are a motion graphics and interactive company in Barcelona which upon my visit there in November I had the fortune to go and see.

They have a large client list and are highly regarded world wide as one of the best in there field, which is a an amazing thing considering there is only a couple of them working there.

On the visit I found the attitude was really relaxed and informal, taking into account the jobs that they do there this was surprising to me as I thought the amount of pressure on such a small company would be evident.

We were given a talk about the what they do, there company ethos and the reason they wanted to set up the company in first place.

I found this little piece of text in there 'about' section on the web site.

''We love animation, we love design, we love illustration, we love coding, photography, film making, modelling, drawing, painting, cooking, sewing, sleeping, gaming and lots more*ings*




















I think this sums up the company very well as there influences come from all over yet the studio defiantly has its own 'in house' style.

We also got to see there show reel as well, which was stunning and one of the few show reels that I have seen which a piece of audio specificly designed for it. This resulted in the Show reel being a piece of work in it's self that captivates you with all these amazing visuals.



One of the things that I was surprised at was the method in which they storyboarded things and came up with ideas. We were show a first story board that contained frames that were used in the end product, resulting in the storyboards themselves being finished to a very high standard. This is in very stark contrast to the way I work or the way I have seen others work.

One of the things that caught my attention about Dvein's work was the fluid aspects. This was mentioned in the talk and we were told about how they experimented with melting plastic and wax to create there footage and effects. So when I got back I had a go my self with a heat gun and a collection of plastic bags.

Here is a couple of examples of what I came up with





Dvein's webpage can be found here

No comments: